Volunteer coral gardening on the reef
Sri Lanka is a food lovers haven. You will taste some of the freshest dishes and colourful cuisine on the planet! This will include:
- Fresh Sri Lankan vegetarian and seafood based curries
- Dhal curry (lentil curry) is the most basic and common of Sri Lankan curries, this staple dish consists primarily of lentils, tomato paste, cumin, and other spices.
- Locally made traditional "rotties" (similar to pancakes with different ingredients inside)
- Also "Hoppers" - Sri Lanka’s bowl-shaped answer to the pancake, made from a coconut milk batter and filled with whatever your heart desires!
- Sri Lankan smoothies, known as "lassies"
- Eggplant moju (eggplant pickle)
- Kale mallung (kale and coconut salad)
- Kottu, also known as Kothu is a Sri Lankan dish made from rotti and vegetables, egg and/or meat, and spices.
- Fresh seafood
You will also eat some western dishes on your trip. All food is generally not spicy and portions are big!
All our homestays are hand chose by the founder of Island Spirit. Most rooms are comfortable, private doubles unless you request otherwise.
We have chosen a colourful mix of different accommodation to give you a feel for what Sri Lanka is all about. Briefly you will stay.
Week 1, 2, 3 – Coral Gardening on the local Sri Lankan reefs, this involves working alongside a local expert marine biologist. You will be snorkeling (not diving). All levels welcome. Briefing and training included in the eco experience. You will average 2-3 hours in the water every day.
Week 4 – Relaxing holiday! Take part in a surf lesson with local surf experts, enjoy a yoga lesson in Mirissa, snorkel the warm Sri Lankan waters, kayak in a lagoon and spend your well-earnt time sunbathing on paradise beaches.
Sri Lanka volunteering
Return flights have been found at £393 (€456) via KLM, £456 (€530) pays for a direct route from London Heathrow with Sri Lankan Airways.
£200 | €250 – we will help you along the way to donate much needed funds which go towards the project equipment, logistics and a training program.
By just travelling with Island Spirit you are already helping generate fair income for these tiny outer island villages. For example, each homestay host will receive a fair-trade price for their accommodation with three home-cooked meals. Other similar organisations don’t have to pay a fair wage.An example of how the smaller details go a long way.
Students studying subjects such as tourism, photography, geography, business, entrepreneurship, biology, marine biology, anthropology, international development
More about Coral Gardening volunteering:
You will help produce a special snorkeling area to view the “super corals” that give us hope that coral reefs can survive into the future.
This unique volunteering trip is one of the first of its kind in Sri Lanka to specialise in coral gardening.
Coral Gardening Links: